The iPad is just the beginning

Posted on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 2 comments -


Dealing with technology on a regular rather its editing a video in Final Cut Pro, shooting still images with a Nikon D40x, or checking a calendar with mobile me on my iPhone, I wonder whats the big next thing. As many of you may know Apple released its revolutionary iPad yesterday, a 10 inch, multitouch, Wifi enabled device. Apple is describing it as “their most advance technology in a magical and revoultionary device.” As I watched the live blog during the Apple event I became disappointed in the product and what it offered. I question why, how come, and where is, all to find no answers in return but after I read a filmakers blog (http://prolost.com/blog/2010/1/27/make-movies-with-apple-ipad.html) and some past BAS alumni blogs http://kyleewall.blogspot.com/ my brain machine began to turn.

I think right now with the release of this tablet and creative minds is exactly what we discuss in N503 about whats your mission, smart devices and the future of what we create with our MAS degrees. This iPad is ahead of its time and myself has doubted the powerful use of its technology and the endless possibilities in a mediated future. If everything is smart and responds to the sense of touch then what is limited. In the Prolost Blog, the filmaker mentioned color correction which is my, MO in video editing, and how the iPad could become the color corrector tools for a color correction project. In other words imagine using the iPad now as remote or an integral interface to control the color correction tools of a editing software. In fact, a step further, using the iPad as a virtual interface for your home iMac or Macbook Pro. Swapping folders, pictures, edits, presentations could all be controlled by multitouch gestures. As MAS students think how much this could change the way you edit, design, build and distribute the media we are creating now. Edit videos on the fly and see corrections in realtime, design 3D models all with your fingers, download text and pictures from your home computer onto your iPad and share in a keynote presentation. All this type of technolgoy is just in a matter of years and already Apple has touched the surface. I challenge myself, students of MS programs, and companies to change the way we interact with our technology and hardware. I leave with a few pictures to allow this concept to build.

There has been 2 Responses to 'The iPad is just the beginning' so far

  1. rickjmorris says:

    I really do not think this device is "ahead" of its time! I think the device is a modification of what we already have. I do not think touch screen technology is "ahead" of its time either! I went to my local Arby's and now they have touch screen for the cashiers when you place an order. I seen the other day that a newscaster on TV literally took his finger and moved around what looked to me like PowerPoint slides to demonstrate his points! Also many survey machines, greeting card creator machines, ATM machines at banks, digital photography developer machines have touch screen technology built into them. Perhaps you might have seen those machines that couples today can register what they want for their wedding for example at Target. I believe these use "touch screen technology". So I guess I am confused on what you mean by that the iPad is "ahead" of its time! I would say "touch screen technology" is just getting more standardized. This is similar to a radio in a car! Years ago this was a luxury, but now it is standard just like a stereo, air conditioning, etc. would be. Of course this just my opinion.

  2. MSichuga says:

    I'm curious to see how the iPad will handle 3D software. If I can create 3D graphics and animation without a mouse, that would be really fantastic.

Leave a Reply