What's in your Mission....

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 1 comments -

What is your mission....


When this question is asked to me I get confused because I begin to try to answer to many question that arise. I ask first, “what do I want to create as a mission”, or “what mission fits my life and my beliefs.” I have even asked when or if I complete the mission then what? Many of these questions I don’t answer because I never have thought seriously of what is my mission in life. A lot of what I think of what is my mission in life, I think what is my purpose? These questions go beyond my mental capacity because they involve God’s plans and purpose for my life. As of date, I have not met that point nor am I striving to create something superficial to believe that it is my mission and purpose. With that said, being a service to others through out my professional career is where I would like my future to evolve to. I pray that my goals and aspirations are in Gods will and can both be met and accepted in his eyes.

My senior year of high school I volunteered as a mentor under the Americorps organization to children from battered women. During that time I really developed the love for service and doing for others when I was called upon to do. After that I realized that I not only enjoyed it but looked forward to providing any service I had or knew how to do for others. As the years evolved, I served in the nations greatest Army in a conflicting war, became a student mentor at IUPUI, and continue to offer unconditional service to my friends and family. I think being a service to others has become a continuos goal of mine and I notice it as I gain more information that can help others. One purposeful goal that I would like to reach is educating information about the use of different medias and mediums to communicate effectively. In addition, I would want to apply the same goals to other national universities to improve on learning, information and technology. The material that we learn is very versatile and applicable to many organizations and business on converging technology and communication with science and art. As a future graduate, I can play a major role in helping achieve this in many different facets from the knowledge I learned and will continuously learn. On the other side it is tough to really say what is a purpose in a technology based career because of the nature of its growth in society. It is imperative that one must stay updated on the latest information and practices to use the skills and knowledge attained to battle new horizons. In thinking that, maybe a Ph. d. is not in my future to attain and not my purpose to become a researcher of this field. In fact maybe my purpose is to be a multimedia consultant with an innovative attitude that keeps companies, universities ,and other organizations serviced with the best video editing suite to compete in the future. Who knows, I will leave that to God and his will be to be done. In the meantime I will put myself in a position to achieve any endeavor that presents itself in the future, and that first starts off with achieving an A in N503!

There has been 1 Responses to “What's in your Mission....”

  1. Steve Mannheimer says:

    Mr. Barnes

    It makes sense to me that your mission in life may simply be service, or make that Service with a capital S. Still, the question arises, Is there a particular branch or direction or type of service that you are better at, and thus in that direction you are better capable of truly, meaningfully serving. Think of this like, say, an athlete who is somehow a pretty good tennis player but a terrific bowler (or pick any sport you might like). Or, perhaps think of an author who writes pretty good science fiction but terrific historical fiction. In general, we think of such differences as differences in "voice." Critics and theorists have debated this idea for years, but with no definite conclusions. Still, the fact remains that most people somehow have an innate ability to perform at a higher level, or create things with a special quality, when focused in a particular direction even among a narrow range of very similar directions.

    So, the question then turns to Service. What type of service is truly your particular direction? In the broad range of media / information / communications technologies, there are MANY possible directions. Should you pick one? Or, is it enough to be a "synthesizer" or a "generalist" within that range.

    It sound like that -- that somehow a generalist is what you are. In other words, you may not be so much a particular kind of author but rather a publisher, someone whose voice and mission is to help others evolve their own voices.

    Maybe?

Leave a Reply