Where do you want to impact

Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 0 comments -

Over the last year I have really begin to focus on my future and my career. Before entering grad school at IUPUI, I always thought of having a dream job of editing video, creating intelligent graphical pieces, and earning a ton of money. Today I think less of what job I want, but more so of what career I want to shape for myself. I think a job will only get you to getting another job then another, but a career I think will land you in an environment for change. A career can fuel a change that impacts life, people, communities, and states. As a student and alumni of the Media Arts & Science program, I believe that as students we are not just learning practices and techniques just to land a single job, but to create and change the way things are communicated and used for the greater good. For this aspect of the program I desire to attain and be apart of in the future.

These days I am working towards my Masters in Media Arts and Science to one day be in charge of changing media technologies and practices. I want to be able to teach from this program as well as become a doctor in this program to push the ideas and practices to a discipline. Although, I believe that experience and work will be the best mode of education out of this program and with that said I want to work with a masters degree before thinking of attaining a Ph. D. in Media Arts & Science.

Today I am looking into research and developing new ways to distribute video and create video technologies for the digital world. I have taken a research design course as my first class in my masters program, and so far it has provided me with great information on structuring and developing my research. My topic in research is finding a correlation between sharing of online video and their ratings to the ratings of TV. Basically I want to find the social aspect of online videos and why they gain popularity and ratings. I think this is important because in new media, convergence of media is key, and finding new developing ways to do it is powerful. If there is a correlation between online video and TV then I believe the content offered online could be offered as a free service to households through their televisions. This study could also be applied to how and why online videos are produced and created. It could effect the practice of editing videos to a different standard than to what is now used now. My topic still is a work in progress, but I know where I want to begin and I am working on fulfilling my research goals.


There has been 0 Responses to 'Where do you want to impact' so far

Leave a Reply